Monday 3 January 2011

Ely New Years Eve 10k 2010

As an Ely Runner, this is one of our home races, and was a race I wanted to run. It happens on New Years Eve, and is a great way to end the year.

The course itself is flat, with only one real incline at about 8k, and the first 1k is rather fast as it's all downhill. It is known as a quick course and has definite PB potential.

I wanted to run around 52.30 for the 10k, which would have meant I had beaten my PB by over 7 minutes since the last 10k race I did was actually my first; the Great Yorkshire run in Sheffield in September 2010.

I almost missed the start of the race as I had been helping out on the registration desk, and made it to the start about 20 seconds before the start as I had to get changed in the toilets prior to the start. Not the best start to the race!

I set off quick (for me!) and went through the first two miles in under 16 minutes, and the 5k mark in 24.09 (which was a PB by over one and a half minutes. I flagged around mile 4-5 as I had no one to follow anymore, and was running mainly alone. I also noticed sub 50 was gone, so backed off a bit.

I went up the incline at 8k with relative ease, having time to pose for this photo


The last 1k is back in the village, so there were a few supporters to spur you along. I tried to give it a quick finish in the last half a mile, but hit the field at the end which had turned into a mud bath and had to back off for fear of drowning!

I completed the 10k in 51.17, a PB by 8 minutes and 21 seconds. A great way to end the year.

No comments: